Workshop: DJ Mixing, Turntablism, Music Production, Animation with a Talk on Career and Freelance Opportunities within the Industry
Partner: POP Studio DJ
Sat, 20 Jul 2019
1.00pm to 5.00pm
*SCAPE Music Studio (next to Beat A Box), Level 3
This workshop covers all main factions of DJing and Music Production. Participants will get to experience the whole range of DJ gear, technical skills, mixing tips as well as explore the world of music production across the platforms of Ableton and FL studio. To top things off they will get to learn about music visualization and animation. Talks on the various forms of career prospects and freelance opportunities will be offered.
Key topics covered:
Introduction to DJ Mixing
- History of DJing
- Types of Genres
- DJ applications
- DJ Equipment
- Intro to Pioneer DDJ controllers
- Intro to various dance music genres
- Basic beat matching and Bar mixing
- Hot cueing
- Basic scratching
Producing and Performing music with Ableton Live
- Producing beats
- Producing a track using Ableton Live software
- How to do remixes and mash ups
- Intro to Audio Effects
- Intro to Synths
- Performing live with the Ableton Push electronic grid instrument.
Music production with FL Studio / Animation
- Producing music from scratch using FL Studio 20 (any genre, any sounds, any beat, infinite possibilities)
- Editing and/or creating the unique sounds using the stock plug-ins of the software or external plug-ins
- Incorporate basic effects, equalizing, mixing, remixing, and mastering to make the track sounds better
- Overview of creating animation using Adobe After Effects
- Synchronizing music with the animation (audio spectrum, particles, vibration, blur, brightness, etc)
- Post-production and adjustments using Adobe Premiere Pro
Intro to DJ skills and turntablism, using turntables, CDJ and DJ controllers, by experienced club DJs and instructors
Basics of electronic music production and performance, using Ableton Live and FL Studio, by experienced electronic producers and Ableton Certified Trainer
Who is this for?
Open to ages 13 – 35. No prior experience or personal equipment is needed. Interest in Performing Arts and The Entertainment industry as a whole.
1) Ashe Narayan, a veteran in our local clubbing circuit, better known by his alter ego A:SHE, is the founder for POP Studio DJ boutique DJ school and their event arm Knight Runners. With almost 30 years in nightlife, he has gone from participating as a consumer and observer to vendor, participant, DJ trainer, talent scout and agent. DJing for selected venues and events, A:SHE spares no time or expense investing time in educating and grooming up and coming DJs and prospective talents.
An avid dance music collector and a graduate from the School of Audio Engineering Singapore, Ashe has been observing the ever music trends both the commercial and underground dance music scenes and gone on to work with teams who promote parties and DJs at venues such as Barkode Cocktail bar, The Butter Factory, The Vault, Tanjong Beach Club to more accessible venues like Attica, D’underground, Canvas, Altimate and Get Juiced to name a few. A:SHE’s interests cover a wide spectrum of music as well as the creative industry. He is well versed with the various realms of the creative industry pie chart and possesses an innate ability to connect the dots between. He currently manages events and music direction for Chimichanga, a Mexican themed bar and event space, as well as forming up and coming DJ collective PLAYGROUND. He has recently started up his own photography and videography team, Medazza Visuals.
2) Benjamin Ang is also one half of iconic home-grown electropop / synthpop duo COSMIC ARMCHAIR, described by the Straits Times as a group that ‘defies any form of easy categorisation or criticism’. COSMIC ARMCHAIR were recently signed to international electronic music label Alfa-Matrix, joining a world-renowned roster including the likds of analogie techno icon Adam X and British industrial legends Nitzer Ebb. As of 2018, the group has released four EPs and one full length album, as well as numerous trance and EDM remixes for European artists. Benjamin’s other musical projects include experimental ambient found sound compositions such as Project FSED.
His one on one classes at POP Studio DJ include Electronic Music Production, Live Pad Performance, How to DJ with Ableton Push, Introduction to Max for Live, and Advanced Electronic Music Production. He also conducts public talks and customised workshops.
3) Hanif began his career spinning as a freelance DJ in 2009. Since then, he has helmed the decks at some of the more prominent night spots in Singapore such as The Pump Room, Fashion TV Club Singapore, Highlander Asia, Long Chim Singapore, Canvas, as well as many private parties and corporate events. He currently holds a residency at Get Juiced. He had also played alongside international acts like IYAZ, Ace of Base and Boy George. He also doubles as an Electronic Music Producer, producing and remixing / bootlegging music tracks that he drops exclusively on his event nights. With the knowledge and experience in music that he has acquired over the years, there’s no doubt that he knows how to smash the dance floors. DJ Hanif’s pet genres include Trap and Hip Hop. He is widely known for his technical versatility as well as cross genre mixing in which he never fails to captivate the crowd. An all-rounded talent, he flawlessly combines mixing and the art of turntablism in order to bring the party to another level.
4) Red hails from America (the land of the free) and Malaysia (the home of the brave) and is honing her craft right here in the Lion City. Red one of the most versatile open-format DJs in the local scene today. She has played at some of the world’s top clubs, including Ce La Vie (Singapore), Illuzion (Phuket), Sky Garden (Bali) and the iconic Zouk (Singapore). She was previously resident at Baliza, Skyline, Ratio, Ultra Lounge, Anthem and Get Juiced. Red has also made her presence felt in the Asian festival scene, having graced the Gotham Water Festival (Myanmar), Beerfest Asia and It’s the Ship in recent years.
In addition to her versatile and diverse approach to DJing, seamlessly moving across genres in her eclectic sets, Red is known to be one of the hardest working and most dedicated DJs in the local scene, garnering the respect of her peers and the love of her loyal audience. From EDM to Top 40, House, 70s-90s, Trap and even Trance, Red’s genre choices have consistently pushed the boundaries of DJing – in terms of mixing skills and fresh track selection, she’s fire and that’s not even debatable. To top off her impressive resume, Red has been instrumental in giving back to the music scene over the past 7 years as an instructor at Altra Management, using her infectious energy to mold and inspire young DJs.
5) Crixiantho, the creative moniker of Ifan’s hails from the tropical Island of Batam in Indonesia. Have started on his music journey by playing the guitar since the age of 10, his love for technology and electronic sounds have propelled him into the world of dance music production with FL Studio as his choice of composing weapon. Heavily influenced by the likes of EDM stalwarts Alan Walker, K-391, Martin Garrix, Noah (f.k.a. Peterpan), known film score composers, Hans Zimmer, and other great musicians have compelled his production styles from the lush tropical symphonies, electronic progressive house, to dramatic and enigmatic down tempo chunky yet beats. To date, he has collaborated with fellow up and coming artists from his homeland Indonesia as well artists from as far as Egypt (Fathy Hossny) and Slovenia (Almebo).
With an interest in visuals art and inspiration from the music visualiser from online music channels such as Non Copyright Song and Trap Nation, he has found innovative ways to integrate his music with digital art with unique and fortuitous methods. He combines Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, and Adobe After Effects for maximum results. Recent projects include also marketing collateral for the event and visual content management for Get Juiced and Orchard Road Club D’Underground.
Sign up by completing the member form below. Admission to this workshop is complimentary.
*Please note that registration is on first-come-first-serve basis.
Registrants will be placed on the waitlist and informed via email if registration is full.